Wednesday, March 4, 2015

day 30: That's a wrap!

So there I was, potato chips to the right of me, candy bars to the left of me, cheap beer and wine in front of me, hot dogs slowly rolling under a heat lamp behind me...

Ah, it's good to be done. A visit to the food desert has been interesting, but not fun. I would not want to live like this forever. But there are a great many things I would not want to put up with that I do not have to, and this experience is not the worst of all possible worlds. We'll see how the lab results come out to get the final picture.

Like Day 29, Day 30 started out without much of a plan. I guess I was just tired. Since I was ready to leave the house earlier than usual, I decided to make Power Oatmeal and eat it in the kitchen (I usually just have coffee at the house and bring my breakfast to work to eat at my desk).

Breakfast  Quantity   Cost   Calories 
oatmeal 1  $0.33    153
peanut butter 1  $0.27    180
milk 1  $0.31      83
coffee 3  $0.28        8
raisins 1  $0.43    120
 $1.63    544

If there is one meal I could skip easily, it is breakfast. I'm not much of a breakfast food fan (despite my diet this past month), and I know I will want to eat more at night regardless of whether I have eaten a lot or a little during the course of the day. So knowing my own behavior, I try to save my calories for the evening. But it does feel good to come to work with a full belly, and the Power Oatmeal has staying power - you aren't hungry 30 minutes after you eat it.

Lunch was a pair of PB&Js.

Lunch  Quantity   Cost   Calories 
bread, wheat 4  $0.52 266
peanut butter 1  $0.27 180
jelly 1  $0.18 56
coffee 3  $0.28               8
 $1.25           510

I brought a pear with me and planned to have it with lunch, but when lunch came, I set it aside planning to eat it later, and the day got away from me and I forgot about it.

By the time I left campus, I had decided wanted to have a nice final meal, and since I was pretty low on spending so far, I decided to stop at the Circle K and pick up one of their salads and a banana.

I actually bought 2 bananas ($0.46 - how can you go wrong?) and decided right then that they would be my final desert dessert.

When I got home, I decided to make one final omelet with all the fixings (at least all the fixings I had been able to acuqire in the desert): onions, peppers, ham, cheddar cheese. I cooked the onions in olive oil to improve the flavor and healthfulness. I ate half of the salad (because the salad was really quite large) with Italian dressing I had purchased for IFDLD (International Food Desert Lobster Day).



It was a nice meal, food desert or not. I would have liked a little Cayenne pepper, but that's just me, and I never found it in the desert.

Dessert was baked banana with honey and cinnamon. If you've never had a baked banana, you really should try it. They're especially good with some marshmallows on top. Honestly, the best way to have them is fried, but Kerryn would probably frown on that, so let's not mention it.


And that was all the food I ate on Day 30 because on Day 30+1 I was going to get my blood drawn, so I had to fast the rest of the night. After my stomach settled, I walked for an hour on the treadmill for exercise.

Day totals:

Cost: $8.07
Calories: 1,706
Exercise: 462 from 13,939 steps
Net calories: 1,244
Weight: 164.6

No comments:

Post a Comment