Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Final Summary Stats & Next Steps

I just published the 4 weeks stats, so these won't be that different, but they will reflect the final results of the experiment. After I talk about those, I'll talk about the additional data forthcoming.

1. Summary Stats



The final average daily expenditure was $8.53/day. This is distorted by the presence of Lobster Day. The median, which is a good measure of central tendency when you know you have outliers, was $7.47, which is very close to the average expenditure of $7.60 when I exclude Lobster Day from the population.

Standard deviation of cost was $5.42 with Lobster day, and $1.85 without it.


Average daily calories consumed was 1,852 with Lobster Day included, and 1,787 without it. The standard deviation was 396 with Lobster Day and 176 without it. The median calories consumed was 1,816, which is about what I was shooting for.

Calories burned through exercise averaged 324 per day with a standard deviation of 236. The median was 341. Lobster Day made little impact on calories burned since it was independent.

Net calories per day averaged 1,527 with Lobster Day and 1,457 with Lobster Day excluded. Standard deviation with Lobster Day was 490; without it was 308. Median was 1,524. 


Weight is one of the health outcomes we are tracking for this experiment. Starting weight was 175.8, ending weight on day 30+1 was 163.5, or a 12.2 pound loss.

I am using day 30+1 as the final weight since the weight was taken first thing in the morning (as usual) and would have reflected the consumption and exercise from day 30. Day 30's weight was 164.6, which would have resulted in a 11.1 pound loss. 


2. Next Steps

As I mentioned in my Day 30 update, I went this morning (Day 30+1) to get post-experiment labs drawn. As soon as those are available, I will post pre- and post-experiment results for comparison.

Over the next week or two I will be entering all of my food consumption data into the USDA's Supertracker program ( https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/foodtracker.aspx ) to assist Kerryn in doing the nutritional analysis. Supertracker is very robust in terms of nutritional data, but it's clunky and generally not user friendly. So I will take the data I entered into Loseit.com over the last month and re-enter it into Supertracker. When that is done, we'll share the nutritional analysis.

Finally, I plan to take my price list from the convenience stores and compare what I paid at the convenience stores to what I would have paid for the same/similar items at a local grocery store to determine how much more I paid to use a convenience store.

When all of that is done, I will also provide some final qualitative observations about the experience.




No comments:

Post a Comment