Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Day 22: getting the fruit and vegetables

One of the challenges of the food desert is getting enough fresh fruit and vegetables. Or, fruit and vegetables of any sort for that matter. Fresh anything is relatively expensive, except for bananas. It appears bananas are optimized for convenience stores - they last a relatively long time, and don't require refrigeration. Typically if a convenience store has fruit, it has bananas.

So this morning started with the Circle K special - Chobani yogurt ($1.79; 140 cal) with a free banana ($0.00; 90 cal) and coffee brewed in the office ($0.28; 6 cal).

Lunch was PB&Js and carrots again - I have a new found fondness of PB&J. I think it's the lack of sugar in most of the other things I am eating - it makes the jelly just that much more special. Since I was eating in the office, I didn't bring along any dressing. I just ate the carrots naked.

Lunch  Quantity   Cost   Calories 
bread, wheat 4  $0.52 266
peanut butter 1  $0.27 180
jelly 1  $0.18 55
carrots 5.00  $0.62 63
coffee 3.00  $0.28 5
 $1.87 569

It was kind of a long day. I went out at lunch time with my realtor to look at houses and didn't find anything I wanted to live in. I grabbed some peanuts ($0.50; 260) and some raisins ($0.30; 90 cal) in the afternoon for a snack.

Dinner was a little sad. I wound up eating the left over pizza rustica ($1.73; 753 calories). 

After my evening work out - running 12 minutes, walking another 18 because my foot started to bother me again - I ate an orange ($0.99; 63 cal).

So, although the day had it's ups and downs, as far as eating goes I think it was relatively successful. I managed to get 3 servings of fruit and a serving of vegetables (not counting the Regan era calculus of tomato sauce as a vegetable). 

Day totals:

Cost: $7.46
Calories: 1,946
Exercise: 203 - from 12,058 steps
Net calories: 1,762
Weight: 167.2









No comments:

Post a Comment