Saturday, February 7, 2015

Day 5: all your eggs




How many eggs is too many eggs? That may be the question. Have I put too many eggs into my one basket? I remember when eggs were perceived as Satan's snack back in the 80's - you know, when the government was touting a high carb diet (in order to get us to eat all the corn it was paying for). Now eggs are back in fashion and carbs are out. This leads to a great deal of skepticism on my part about what we really know about nutrition, and medicine in general. But that's a topic for another day. Yesterday I accidentally ate four eggs. In the same sense as people used to refer to getting pregnant as an "accident" back in the 60's. I wanted to eat them, so I did. And now I'm not sure if I'm having day after shame.

(I'm writing this on Saturday, day 6, because I was just too tired to write last night before bed - perhaps an effect of the eggs.)

I had an early meeting so I boiled two eggs and made a peanut butter sandwich on wheat to take with me to work. And of course I made coffee in my office.
Breakfast  Quantity   Cost   Calories 
eggs                2  $      0.59             150
Bread, wheat                2  $      0.40             160
Peanut butter                1  $      0.42             180
coffee                3  $      0.28               14
 $      1.69             504

The meeting ran until noon, and I thought I'd escape the office to go back to the house to work, but nothing ever goes quite as planned, and I didn't wind up leaving the office until 1:30, which left me pretty famished.




Frying an egg is a quick way to get a lot of protein, and they taste even better with some cheddar cheese and Frank's,



so I made a two egg cheddar omelet and stuck it between two pieces of toast. It was quick and good.

Lunch  Quantity   Cost   Calories 
Bread, wheat                2  $      0.40             160
Eggs, fried                2  $      0.59             150
I can't believe                 5  $      0.07               20
coffee                3  $      0.28               14
 $      1.33             344

That kept me going most of the afternoon. A colleauge at the office told me there was a good convenience store called Tedeschi in Dover, so later in the day I drove past the Dover Discount Beverage (betrayal!) and went in search of Tedeschi. You can see the video above - it was in fact a pretty decent convenience store. Prices were about the same as the other convenience stores, but they definitely had the best selection of groceries I've seen so far.

The haul:





Item  Price  Units  Price/Unit 
Kale and Spinach Chips  $2.99 181  $0.02
carrots  $1.99 16  $0.12
green pepper  $0.99 1  $0.99
Oatmeal, instant, Quaker  $4.19 12.75  $0.33
Raisins, Sunmade  $3.69 8.5  $0.43
Nutella  $4.79 10  $0.48

By the time I got back to the house, I had torn into the carrots and eaten five ounces of them. I have to confess, after five days, I was craving some crunch. They tasted really good. I am very pleased to have found them. I was also pleased to find a green pepper. I'll probalby use that for an omelet or something. Or just eat it plain. I foresee more carrots in the near future. I was excited to find raisins as well. I like raisins and developed a habit for them when I did the paleo/Whole30 diet back in October. Kerryn got me back into eating oatmeal during the $3 Diet, so when I saw the big can of oatmeal, I figured it was something I should pick up. And it was national Nutella Day yesterday, so I bought some Nutella. Not that I needed a reason. Who doesn't LOVE Nutella? Only Satan, with his eggs. That's who.

The final, conspicuous member of the bunch up there is the Spinach and Kale chips. Note they are advertised as Spinach and Kale. But in reality, the first ingredient is corn meal. So they are really spinach and kale flavored corn chips. Yum. Two flavors I dislike mixed with a completely unhealthy snack. Thank you, Department of Agriculture and US Congress for your decades long subsidies to corn farmers. So basically, it's a snack that masquerades as healthy, but neither tastes good nor is good for you. I'm sure some well meaning mother out there is trying to force her kids to eat Spinach and Kale chips. I ate two. That is all. ($0.07; 20 calories)

So dinner was relatively uncreative - more pasta with canned sauce, and I broke into the can of green beans. Plenty of Frank's made everything taste passable.

Dinner  Quantity   Cost   Calories 
macaroni                3  $      0.47             310
Hunt's Pasta Sauce - Garlic and Herb                1  $      0.34               60
green beans, canned                1  $      1.05               30
hot sauce                2  $      0.14                -  
carrots                5  $      0.62               63
 $      1.99             463

Later in the evening I had a bag of hot peanuts for a snack ($0.50; 290 calories).

I walked for an hour on the treadmill for exercise, and ended the day with 14,881 steps, for a calorie adjustment of 520.

Day totals:

Cost:  $5.57
Calories: 1,621
Weight: 171.8
Net calories: 1,101

No comments:

Post a Comment